Smitten Kitchen's Best Birthday Cake.

Once I saw this post over at Smitten Kitchen, I knew had to steal Deb's recipe and try it this weekend for mom's 60's birthday celebration (side note: sure, I've never met Deb, but I still like to call her by her first name like we're friends. Because I would love nothing more than to meet this gal. She seems funny, smart, and pretty good in the kitchen to boot. Hi Deb! Be my friend!...just kidding). Anyway, my parents and my sister drove down from Ohio to spend the weekend with us, and to mark my mom's birthday, and of course this called for a layer cake. From scratch. With homemade icing. Oh yeah.

chocolate!

If you make this recipe, don't even bother to think about how many calories are in this. Tw0 and a quarter cups of sour cream, and 15 ounces of chocolate - just in the icing. But it is totally worth it. I refrigerated the iced cake until we were ready to eat it, and my only regret is that I didn't leave it out to sit a bit longer. The cake was good, but the flavor was muted a bit due to the refrigeration. I think the buttery yellow cake flavor would have been more pronounced at room temperature. I am pretty sure that the refrigeration was necessary because of the sour cream in the icing - do any bakers out there want to weigh in?

cake!

P.S. Did you notice how I even stole Deb's sprinkle look? (I know my pictures are terrible, but you can see the sprinkles there on top). I wasn't planning on it, but part of my parent's and sister's visit involved a quick trip
here, which I wasn't even aware was in Memphis. It's a crazy small bake supply shop, and I found it because I knew my sister would want to go there, since she's graduating in December as a pastry chef and wanted to check out any Memphis bake supply places. They had these sprinkles there, and I couldn't resist.

Comments

Popular Posts