Lemon Curd

lemons
{source}

So, I finally dug in this weekend and began practicing the wedding cake. I did my research, found the recipes that I wanted to try, bought the right pans, and got to work. A few hours later, I had two very lovely square cake layers, and an amazing lemon curd. Since I haven't made the icing yet (swiss buttercream icing, from here), I plan on assembling the whole thing tonight. Beware, my coworkers. You will be my first taste-testers tomorrow. I apologize in advance for sabotaging any sort of diet you had going.

But guys, here's the thing. What I was most leary of was making the lemon curd, which, looking back, was completely silly. Lemon curd is so easy! Trust me. It came together in, oh, maybe 5 minutes. The flavors all mingle and mix, and before you know it you have a glorious bowl of lemony, creamy goodness.

Lemon Curd
From Joy of Cooking

3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, diced

Whisk together the first three ingredients in a medium stainless saucepan until light in color. Add the lemon juice and butter. Cook, whisking, over medium heat until the butter is melted. Whisk constantly until the mixture is thickened and simmers gently for a few seconds. Using a spatula, scrape the filling into a medium-mesh sieve set over a bowl and strain the filling into the bowl. Stir in the vanilla.

Let cool, cover, and refrigerate to thicken. This keeps, refrigerated, for about a week.

Comments

Popular Posts