My Grandmother's Piano

Last night was stressful. Really stressful. So stressful that I could not focus on the dinner we ate (which was really quite wonderful), or the Olympics we were watching for most of the evening. Why? Because we were waiting for a delivery man to show up with my grandmother's piano. Let me explain...

My fiance decided to surprise me with a wedding gift (even though we're not going to get married until next summer). He knew that I've always wanted to own my grandmother's piano, which is located in Ohio in the house where she lived. She has since passed away, and my dad and uncle are still in the process of cleaning out the house and dispersing belongings to family members.

In order to surprise me, my fiance arranged for a shipping company to load up the piano and have it delivered here to Memphis. Or, at least that's what he hoped. Because let's just say that after my fiance agreed to hire them, things started to get a bit fishy. The company's online profile had numerous cancellations and negative feedbacks, which was worrysome in and of itself. Then, the moving guy just happened to never answer his phone when we called. He picked up the piano at 9 am yesterday, and we really didn't hear from him all day. We called and called. And called. I was near tears, thinking that some guy had just made off with my grandmother's 1939 spinnet mahogany piano. I'm sure it's worth some money, right? He was probably laughing all the way home, happy with himself that he just stole someone's piano that he could surely sell for some profit.

I was nearly sick with worry. Like I said, I could barely focus or concentrate. My fiance felt even worse, haunted by the thought that this family piano was gone, all because of his idea and who he hired.

The mover finally arrived at 11 pm. Yes, 11 pm. My fiance was tight-lipped as the guy gave us his excuses: a wreck on the highway involving five semi trucks had really slowed him down, he said. Yeah, right.

Anyway, the most important thing is that he had the piano, it was in one piece, and (as far as I can tell) undamaged in any way. We promptly paid the man and shut the door behind him. And now...I have my piano! Of course I cried when I saw it, because it brought back so many memories of my grandmother. I think - no, I know - that she is really happy right now, wherever she is. Whenever I play this piano, I'll always be reminded of her.

IMG_1144 copy

Comments

Popular Posts