Fruit & Salad

No, not fruit salad.  Fruit on my salad.  In my salad.  With cheese.  This is what I've been craving the past few weeks and seemingly the only thing that I truly look forward to.  I've felt very, very good almost this entire pregnancy so I cannot complain one bit but (here goes) I've recently developed this terrible, awful problem where I think I'm good - I think I've eaten enough and had enough water and then more water - and all of a sudden I'll get hungry again, or woozy, or dizzy, and then I'm back to feeling hungry.  This of course leads to me eating whatever I can get my hands on, which is not good when A) you haven't really had much energy to stock the house with good, easy snacks and B) you're working an awful lot and you can only eat so much peanut butter + bananas + crackers.  I feel like I'm in an endless eating cycle and while that may sound fun and carefree, it's really the pits.  I get tired of eating and nothing sounds good to me anymore.  

But this past weekend I had enough energy to make a very concerted effort, and it paid off tremendously.  My doctor told me to eat more spinach so that forced me to run to the farmer's market and buy some damn spinach.  I brought it home and instead of being able to just scarf it down like the last meal I had (cereal, anyone?) I took my time with it.  I paired it with fresh plums, feta, chickpeas, red onion, and a splash of olive oil/basalmic vinegar and freshly cracked pepper.  And it was lovely.  I felt so great afterward.


I can't believe I feel this way - this whole inability to keep the house full of good, wholesome food has never plagued me before and I'm a bit ashamed that I've been too tired to do anything about it.  But no more!  That spinach salad inspired me, so here are a few links to some other salads that we've had recently that get my very enthusiastic two thumbs up (or should I say four, for the little guy in my belly?).  Only 13 more weeks to go!


Grilled Kale Salad with Ricotta and Plums


Peach, Mozzarella, and Basil Salad with a Honey Balsamic Reduction

Comments

Popular Posts