Mini Cadbury Egg Cookies

cadbury egg cookies

Wow, a little late with this post, eh? Easter candy? It's almost May, for crying out loud.

Well, that's what baking a wedding cake will do you to. It puts you a bit behind schedule. More on that in the next post.

I finished up that wedding cake on Saturday, and you'd think that I would be sick of baking. People, I went through almost 20 sticks of butter, almost as many eggs, and more sugar and flour than I care to think about. And yet, once all of the pressure was off, and my job was done, I thought, now I can bake for fun! Yes, I am weird.


A little bit about these Cadbury eggs - you know the kind, the ones that come in the purple bag. My sweet mother sent me two large bags of these right before Easter. I had called her a few days earlier, lamenting the fact that I couldn't seem to find them in Memphis (of course, I only checked at two Walgreen's, so my search was far from exhaustive). Thinking that I'd be without my favorite candy on Easter, she sent me some.

And some, well, is just too much. I reluctantly opened one bag, and I've almost eaten the whole thing. It's awful. The floodgates opened, and it was like all of a sudden that purple bag became a very strong magnet. I. Couldn't. Stop.

So I thought, why not put them in cookies? Brilliant! Don't, however, make my mistake of thinking that you can chop these buggers up in your food processor. Maybe it's possible, but when I turned mine on, it sounded like the blade was coming to bits and that it would explode at any moment. Really, it was horrific. Of course, my food processor is from the 1970's, so perhaps the newer models have stronger blades and motors. So I chopped them. By hand. Yes, I am weird.

Mini Cadbury Egg Cookies
8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (either dark or light is fine)
6 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup + 1 tbsp flour, loosely scooped
1-1/2 cups chopped mini cadbury eggs

1 - Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased cookie sheet.
2 - Beat the butter, sugars, and vanilla until creamy. Add in egg. Once egg is well blended, add salt and baking soda, beating well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated. Add the flour and stir (do not beat) until it is almost incorporated. Add the cadbury eggs, and still until the flour has all but disappeared.
3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets, about one inch apart. Bake one sheet at a time on center rack for 8-10 minutes until edges are golden. The cookies should get pretty brown around the edges. Be careful not to let the bottoms get burned - keep an eye on them!
4. Remove from oven, and set the cookie sheet on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove from sheet, place on cooling rack, and allow to cool to room temperature.

Enjoy!

Comments

Stephanie Sabbe said…
btw you are my new baking go to. I'm serious. when are you going to make this your gig? soon I hope:) miss you guys

Popular Posts